Basic Fractions Using LEGO® Bricks—Student Edition (PDF)
[PDF Version—SINGLE USE ONLY. PDF SITE LICENSE FOR SCHOOL USE AVAILABLE ON WEBSITE] Student Workbook for Basic Fractions Using LEGO® Bricks
Many students struggle with learning fractions. This book helps students who are learning basic fractions, typically in grades 3-4. The mathematical concepts are taught through modeling with LEGO® bricks.
In this book, the hands-on activities using LEGO® bricks help students learn:
• how to recognize fractions
• the vocabulary of fractions
• how to define a whole and represent parts of different sized wholes
• how to add and subtract with like and unlike denominators
• how to represent and understand mixed numbers and find equivalent fractions
The Student Edition includes baseplate diagrams for students to work along with the teacher, drawing their models and explaining their thinking in writing. It also includes a student assessment for each chapter and a chart to track the student's progress.
- recognize fractions
- use the vocabulary of fractions
- define a whole and represent parts of different sized wholes
- add and subtract with like and unlike denominators
- represent and understand mixed numbers and find equivalent fractions
The book starts with the most basic concepts and focuses on a specific topic in each chapter. Most students learn these concepts between grades 2 – 6. Using LEGO® bricks to model math provides a universal language. Children everywhere recognize this manipulative.
It’s fun to learn when you’re using LEGO® bricks!