Basic Fractions Using LEGO® Bricks—Teacher Edition (PDF)
[PDF Version—SINGLE USE ONLY. PDF SITE LICENSE FOR SCHOOL USE AVAILABLE ON WEBSITE] Basic Fractions Using LEGO® Bricks—Teacher Edition
Many students struggle with learning fractions. Teachers struggle, too, in finding ways to teach the concepts. The lessons in this book are for teachers to use with students who are learning basic fractions, typically in grades 3-4. The mathematical concepts are taught through modeling with LEGO® bricks.
In this book, the hands-on activities using LEGO® bricks help students learn:
• how to recognize fractions
• the vocabulary of fractions
• how to define a whole and represent parts of different sized wholes
• how to add and subtract with like and unlike denominators
• how to represent and understand mixed numbers and find equivalent fractions
- recognize fractions
- use the vocabulary of fractions
- define a whole and represent parts of different sized wholes
- add and subtract with like and unlike denominators
- represent and understand mixed numbers and find equivalent fractions
The book starts with the most basic concepts and focuses on a specific topic in each chapter. Most students learn these concepts between grades 2 – 6. Using LEGO® bricks to model math provides a universal language. Children everywhere recognize this manipulative.
It’s fun to learn when you’re using LEGO® bricks!