professional development for brick math
Three levels of professional development are offered for teachers to help them integrate the Brick Math program with their school's curriculum.
The professional development is conducted by Dr. Shirley Disseler, creator of the Brick Math instructional method and author of all the books in the Brick Math series. Dr. Disseler is an Associate Professor at High Point University and Chair of the Department of Elementary and Middle Grades Education. She is also STEM Coordinator for the BA to MEd program. She has over 25 years of educational experience, from elementary school teaching through higher education. Dr. Disseler also is a LEGO® Education Academy Trainer and serves on the LEGO® Education Ambassadors Panel as a LEGO® Master Teacher.
TIER 1 – Getting Started with Brick Math
This tier provides schools with the option to use Brick Math across several classes for station rotation purposes, or to use as a school-wide enrichment or remediation program.
Included in Tier 1:
• 6 teacher guides (2 books each for your choice of 3 subjects)
• 72 student workbooks (24 books each for your choice of 3 subjects)
• 48 two-student brick sets
• 6 hours of Professional Development to be held on one day
TIER 2 – Incorporating Brick Math in Multiple Ways
This tier is designed to provide additional resources for use in multiple ways. Schools could choose to place sets in classrooms, remediation labs, or enrichment centers. The wide variety of books and number of brick sets allows for greater flexibility in the use of the program.
Included in Tier 2:
• 18 teacher guides (3 books each for six subjects)
• 144 student workbooks (24 books each for six subjects)
• 100 two-student brick sets
• 12 hours of Professional Development to be held on two days
TIER 3 – School-Wide Implementation
This tier is designed to provide resources for full implementation across all classes within a school. Professional Development sessions kick off the program, and additional quarterly Professional Development sessions are presented throughout the year to build teachers' fluency with Brick Math techniques.
Included in Tier 3:
• 36 teacher guides (6 books each for six subjects)
• 288 student workbooks (48 books each for six subjects)
• 144 brick sets
• Initial on-site Professional Development for up to 6 hours for early grades and 6 hours for upper grades, along with quarterly visits for continued PD throughout the year
To order Brick Math with any of the Professional Development tiers, please contact Neil Raphel at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 802-751-8802.